The night was cold and harsh, and the ship let out low wooden groans as a stiff breeze blew across the decks of the HMS Kestrel. I and the others forty or so souls who couldn't find lodgings below were scattered on the deck, attempting to find whatever rest they could. However, I could find no sleep tonight. Streching my numb legs, I threw the pitiful excuse of a blanket aside and stood up. Picking my way through between the other sleeping passengers, I mad my way over to the side of the ship. Gazing out over the rails I watched as icebergs drifted through the night far to the south.
Fumbling through my pockets, I pulled the dull brown-paper package out.
"So much blood for such a small thing," I mused to myself, holding the palm sized package between my hands. Once more thoughts of the man in the bar intruded into my thoughts.
"Please, take this back to our home land," he had pleaded with me, thrusting the package into my unwilling hands, "for I no longer have the strength to bear it."
Before I could respond, the sharp retort of a pistol broke the ambiance of the bar. The man before me fell to the floor, blood dribbling from the wound in the back of his head. Through the terror of the crowd, I ran, never once looking back. My flight led me to this very ship, bound to a destination I know nothing of.
Sighing, I put the package back in my coat pocket and leaned against the rails, once more gazing at the cold yet pristine ocean.
The faint, echoing click of a hammer being cocked came from behind. Thoughts of the man in the bar cascaded through my mind, and thoughtlessly I vaulted over the rails. As my legs cleared the rails, the report of the gun shattered the silence of the night, and my right shoulder exploded with pain. Numb from the shock I plumeted into the water below. The near freezing water embraced me like death itself. Floating on my back, I watched as the boat and my unknown assassian sailed away. Slowly the specter of sleep overwhelmed my person, and I resigned myself to this cold, bloody fate.
Yet, this was not my end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
this is a pretty good start man, keep going with it.
Post a Comment